Monday 5 November 2012

That age old debate - Breast & Formula feeding

I am downright sick of this so called 'debate'. Yet again have I seen something on facebook about this debate and yet again my blood starts to boil. I shouldn't let it bother me but it does. It's not necessarily the formula v breast debate that winds me up, but the fact that some Mum's insist on having this debate in the first place.

Why can't we all accept that we do the best for our babies and ourselves and that may be formula feeding, breastfeeding or a bit of both. If we all were the same then the world would be boring. Why should it concern you how the baby next door, at playgroup, down the street etc is fed? Why can't Mum's concentrate on feeding their own baby, and not worry about other babies.

Both sides are to blame in this too. Some breastfeeders spout the usual 'Breast is best, blah blah blah' making those who tried and failed to breastfeed guilty. And then you have some Formula feeders who are intent on letting the world know they are not harming their child by using formula and how dare breastfeeders suggest so.

I am tired of reading the same old thing over and over again. I personally couldn't care less how you choose to feed your child. I really couldn't. Its your decision, based on what is best for you and your baby. And I can wholeheartedly say, whatever you decide will be the right decision. What really irks me, is when you then have to constantly reinforce this decision to anyone who will listen over and over again.

This doesn't apply to all Mum's, of course it doesn't. There are positives and negatives to both ways of feeding. I know formula feeding Mums who have suffered greatly with the guilt they feel about not being able to breastfeed, but their baby is thriving on formula, so they shouldn't feel guilty. I know Mums who breastfeed who feel out of place at baby groups because everyone else is bottle feeding and they feel guilty for breastfeeding almost.

I have a friend who has stopped going to a particular baby groups because she is the only one breastfeeding and the others have made comments to her about her feeding. Likewise I know formula feeders who have felt uncomfortable bottle feeding at a babygroup because others are breastfeeding. I even had someone say to me once, that breastfeeding a baby past 6 months was for the Mothers' benefit only and was only serving to make for a clingy badly behaved child in the future. Incidentally this person is also a health visitor, though she was speaking to me as a friend at a party not in her professional capacity.

I am just tired and fed up of reading it all to be honest. Tired of  some breastfeeders making some FF's feel guilty and inferior. Breast is not always best for a happy baby and a happy Mummy. I'm tired of some formula feeders feeling the need to constantly spout about how well their baby is doing on formula. If the tables were turned, they would feel outraged.

How about we just get on with feeding our own babies and let others worry about feeding theirs. As I said previously, I don't care how you feed your baby, as long as you and your baby are happy, healthy and growing, and I bet you don't care how I feed mine!

I'm sure though, that as long as we keep having babies, this debate will continue to roll on, its human nature I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you but also think this applies to just about every aspect of parenting.
    Mums should work out whilst they are fighting amongst themselves, society is laughing and not changing to give them a better time. Or that is my view anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right, this should extend to parenting as a whole. We spend too much time judging/critising others when we of all people should understand what a difficult job parenting is.

    ReplyDelete